Passarella returns and answers questions on Qatar and Balanta

Juntos-Balanta-Passarella-RIVER_CLAIMA20130703_0045_17

River President, Daniel Passarella and Colombian defender, Eder Alvarez Balanta

Daniel Passarella has returned from his recent trip to Europe and Qatar amid striking River Plate employees, rumours of a Director of Football Position in Qatar and the sale of, one of the most talked about youngsters in South American football, Eder Alvarez Balanta.

The River and Argentina legend was quick to downplay the financial worries that currently surround the Buenos Aires giants. Having spent the close season in Europe, it was widely reported that Passarella was touting some of River’s most sought after players to top European clubs in order to cash in but he strongly denied this.

“I did not go to Europe to sell Balanta. I had offers, but they were unsuccessful” claimed Passarella. “For Balanta, Vangioni, Lanzini, and Pezzella, although I do not think they offered what they are worth.”

balantaRecent reports suggested River have already sold a large percentage of his ownership to a third party investment group but Passarella claimed otherwise, “If I had been desperate , don’t you think I would have sold Balanta ?” Passarella noted that ” Balanta is worth a lot and will be worth much more . He could cost 50 million euros.”

Monaco were the side reportedly closest during the transfer window but now persistant stories link Balanta with a move to Tata Martino’s Barcelona side. However, Passarella said, “I was with Martino and he told me that River has some good players but never that he wants to buy a Balanta.”

This will do little to dispel the rumours and the truth remains that as Alvarez Balanta’s progress continues he will be leaving River in the near future.

Speaking further on the economic situation in El Monumental, Passarella said that the club “sold 70% of the ownership of Funes Mori for 3.5 million euros and when we sell the remaining 30% we are going to raise more. Moreover , Atletico Madrid and Monaco also owes us raising another 6 or 7 million.”

This increased revenue will be music to the eyes of the disgruntled River employees who are waiting for their pay this month. Passarella insisted this would be resolved immenently and it was “all politics.”

And on the subject of travelling to Qatar to discuss a Director of Football role? “All lies. Besides, if I took my wife to Qatar, she would kill me.”

Advertisements

One response to “Passarella returns and answers questions on Qatar and Balanta

  1. Pingback: Passarella returns and answers questions on Qatar and Balanta | Futbol News·

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.