San Lorenzo comeback to draw with Lanús, Arsenal beat Vélez for first win of the season & Central ruin Olave’s leaving party (VIDEO)


2016 for San Lorenzo has ultimately been one of disappointment after so many what-might-have-beens but Diego Aguirre’s side showed a great deal of character on Sunday afternoon to come back from two-down against Lanús and remain on the heels of Boca Juniors at the top of the table.

The Transición champions, Lanús had dragged themselves back into the title mix after five straight wins and against San Lorenzo were bidding farewell to Miguel Almirón after the Paraguayan sealed a move to Atlanta United. Despite the end of season atmosphere, El Granate took an early lead when Maxi Velázquez headed past Sebastián Torrico unmarked.

Shortly after half time, Pepe Sand doubled the lead from the penalty spot after Fernando Belluschi was adjudged to have handled the ball but the visitors were not beaten yet. Martín Cauteruccio poked in the first and soon after fired in an equaliser after Fernando Monetti could only parry Belluschi’s initial header. Either side could have snatched it but ultimately settled for a deserved point, leaving both within touching distance of Boca Juniors when the season resumes.


In Córdoba, Rosario Central bounced back from their painful Copa Argentina final defeat in midweek to defeat Belgrano and somewhat spoil Juan Carlos Olave’s leaving party. The veteran goalkeeper was playing his last game for El Pirata after spending the majority of his 20-year career at the club but could do nothing to prevent his struggling side from slumping to another defeat. Germán Herrera rifled in the opener before the break and despite being down to ten men, Giovani Lo Celso ran clear to wrap up all the points. The 20-year-old is off to Paris Saint-Germain in January but ensured a victorious exit from El Canalla.

On the final weekend before the Primera breaks until 2017, Arsenal finally earned their first three points thanks to an inept performance by Vélez Sarsfield and a bit of luck courtesy of referee Mario Ejarque. Sergio Velázquez had already given the home side a legitimate first half lead before a controversial last five minutes before the break. Vélez had Lautaro Gianetti shown a second yellow card and Arsenal then doubled their lead when Leandro Marin’s header looped into the net despite what looked like a clear foul on goalkeeper Fabián Assmann. Hernán Barcos did manage a late consolation from the penalty spot but the visitors couldn’t find a second. Both sides enjoy the break outside the drop zone but nervously watch those around them and know that huge improvements are needed in 2017.

Lanús  2 – 2  San Lorenzo

Belgrano  0 – 2  Rosario Central

Arsenal  2 – 1  Vélez Sarsfield

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.